I received this book for free from in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.My Rating:
A Friendly Arrangement by Christine Warner
Series: Friends First #2
Genres: Contemporary Romance
What happens when your plus one becomes “the one”?
Holly Haggerty and Roth Esterly are two besties with everything in common—they’re neighbors, career-driven, and commitment-phobes. Tired of always being set up on dates by well-meaning friends and family, they take matters into their own hands: they will be the other’s plus one—a little friendly arrangement between friends.
Easy…until a steamy night where they cross the line. But that’s okay, they’ll add an addendum—one that includes a little action between the sheets…on top of the sheets…and without the sheets. But there are rules. Dating and sex are exclusive until one of them decides to terminate the agreement. No slumber parties. And if either party becomes emotionally involved they will break things off with no hard feelings.
When unexpected news changes their plans and turns their fun arrangement into something more serious, Holly and Roth must come to terms with what’s more important—what they thought they wanted, or what they really need.
Holly and Roth have a fun relationship that reminds me of a couple I actually know. They give each other a hard time and are very relateable. They live across the from each other and are best friends. Neither wants to ever have a serious relationship or a family and they are both tired of being hounded to find someone. So they come up with a plan! They will be each other’s “Plus One” whenever they have an event or function to go to. This will allow them to have some peace and not be set up by every one since they all will think they are dating. Sounds like a solid plan, right?
Well once they become attracted to one another they decide to become Plus One’s with benefits. Yeah you can see where this is going! They begin to have feelings for one another and then an unexpected complication is thrown in. This was actually a very good read and better than I had thought it would be. There is plenty of humor and steamy scenes!
A Word From Christine…….
The Best Laid Plan
Okay, I so admit it. There are times when I’m on a writing blitz and nothing can pull me away from the laptop. I’m on a roll and the words are flowing and everything falls into place.
I love days like those. I wish I had more.
Then there are the days that I plan to write, have the characters and story circling around in my head with a million and one ideas, but when I sit down with fingers on the keyboard, I keep allowing myself to get dragged away from the screen. I can’t focus no matter how many times I bribe myself with a reward if I just add some words to the word count.
I use silly excuses that either have me jumping up and away from my laptop (only for a minute, I promise I’ll be right back…lol), or ones that keep me in my chair in front of the screen, but surfing social media sites instead of concentrating on my WIP.
Here are my Top 10 excuses. The ones I seem to let myself use when I have time to write, but don’t get anything done.
- My Golden Retriever, Libby, keeps tossing her ball on my keyboard, coaxing me to go play ball outside. (Though she loves it, and I love her, she doesn’t need me playing ball with her every hour on the hour)
- I wonder if there’s a science project growing in the fridge? Hmm, I better go clean it. (This is a popular excuse on Monday since the house is calm from a busy weekend and I have no clue what the guys used the fridge for…sometimes I find scary things in there…lol)
- Laundry, I’m sure I can scrounge up a load and I should really stay on top of it before it gets out of hand.
- I think I’ll cook something amazing for dinner…complete with carrot cake made from scratch. Yes, I’m going to do it. I better make out a list and head to the grocery store.
- What? I haven’t talked to my sister in almost 12 hours. Time to give her a call.
- Wonder what’s happening on facebook?
- Am I missing any awesome tweets on Twitter?
- I should write my blog for next week and get it out of the way.
- Emails might be piling up, I should sort through them and check out any new blog posts, new twitter friends, posts on facebook.
- I think I saw a Hershey’s candy bar with almonds in the fridge when I was cleaning it out. I should take a sweet break. (yes, I put them in the fridge, I love ‘em that way:))
Whew…I did manage to get all three books in the Friends First series completed and to my editor. That’s an achievement, even though I did have days that were a little more challenging than others…thanks to some of the things I mentioned above. I’m so excited about A Friendly Arrangements release and can’t wait for book three, the final book in the series to release in early 2016. YAY!!
What about you? What are some of the excuses you come up with so you don’t have to get the job at hand completed?